Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fettunta vs. Bruschetta

Recently I learned that something I have done for years has a name and a history/foundation in food world. What I have always done in creating garlic bread from scratch is known as Fettunta. The basis is that with the first pressing of olive oil in Italy, crusty bread is sliced, grilled, rubbed with fresh garlic cloves and drizzled with the olive oil. This was brought to my attention while watching the Cooking Channel's La Dolce Vida with David Rocco. This is a perfect accompaniment to serve with pasta, seafood, grilled beef or many other savory main dishes. Admittedly, I have been known to enjoy it by itself when getting home from a log day at work!!
I also learned that from this foundation you can create Bruschetta by adding other ingredients, such as tomato, basil, Parmesan, capers or other things that complete the transformation. It was made clear that the two were different dishes and one grows in transition from the other. Hmm, who knew. We never stop learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment